Sunday, July 8, 2007

Happy Birthday to me!! I'm a 103 or 21 or wtvr kthxbai

Happy birthday to me!!!

today I turn 21. It is currently 1:13am. There is a documentary about how the balinese think that rice is a manifestation of God, and watched a ceremony where they stepped on the heads of dead cows and prayed for the gods to come down and manifest themselves in their rice-dough statues.
Now I see an old woman wearing a 2 foot tall red hat that looks like a lampshade splashing water from a flat spoon over a crowd... now it is raining and we are looking at statues looking pensive, more people picking rice, more volcanoes, gods, back to rice again. Its in English but it really makes no sense. Now there'es credits.

I think i feel like my grandfather trying to follow the news. Well it is 1:16am and I have been cleaning grandfather dearest's house for 5 hours, cooking walking dogs keeping people happy feeding animals and people etc all day, came home and by 8pm I was cooking. I have made a beef, date and honey tagine and I have gotten half way through making these crazily difficult, horribly fatty but hell-crazy-amazing tasting authentic moroccan pastries.
I could be a drug addict if you had only read this post and didn't know me. My eyes are stinging but i haven't had much sleep lately. Not sure why but ever-so-pissed that my old arch nemesis insomnia has made one of its many returns.

And yes, it is my 21st birthday. whoopee doo. To be honest i'm not really that excited or care particularly where I once might have. Now I could not be bothered running, or for that matter asking people to do anything other than arrive at my house on a night they are not likely to be doing much (a monday), eat food I have paid for with my birthday money and slaved over for hours, wish me a happy birthday and go home.

soo much effort. Two reasons: 1 i like to cook and 2 I like the people I'm cooking for.
Its more a good excuse to cook and see people i like.

so, a couple of cooking hints from hayles:
1. do not pour burning hot deep fry oil down the sink i'm pretty sure its more powerful than drano
2. turn off all smoke alarms
3. do not bother with dinner because you have to taste the consistency etc of sooo much food that it eventually becomes a meal
4. avoid attempting anything which has more than one whisk, star, chefs hat or muffin marked next to it
5. avoid starting a dish which looks like it will take a little while at 11:00pm if you have a big day ahead
6. don't drink [more than 1/2 bottle of scotch] and cook

ahh the wisdom of a 21 year old. I am as wizened as a sage.
Call me Sagey. Or Sag for short.

But not saggy.

This movie on tv (sunday nite telly!!) makes possibly less sense than the doco on cows heads and rice dough... Its like die hard but without a sound track, in black and white, and instead of killers with beards, suits and guns its a kid in plaid oberalls and bruce willis is a prim police woman with a perm. and it smacks more of bad blocking and direction than suspense. ooh we have music; its a light string number that could have featured in the singin' in the rain 20minute montage. this is very very strange. I should get to bed but i don't know if I can face getting changed. and i feel sick from trying to get the consistency of orange flour water / sesame seed / almond meal dough right (eerrghh so sickenly rich).

should go to bed soon.
my ass is sore, my feet are sore. I am sore.

I don't want my birthday today - maybe some other time.\

adios chicos y chicas,
rest in peace but not in a funeral kind of way in a warm cosy bed with a cat kinda way

Hayles xoxox

No comments: