Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Lets try this again

Last time I tried this post, I wrote exactly 2020 words of brilliant prose, only for my entire computer to collapse on me.
So... in my disheartened, dishevelled state, it is probably wiser, faster, easier (etc etc) to give you, my dear readership (all three of you - Sal, Moog* and Alf*) a birdy's eye view of events

Friday 27th April I was in a bit of a state about my not-done, not-at-all-understood and very-big-and-intimidating constitutional law assignment (in chief, s 122 of the Constitution was bothering me). at the same time, as happens almost on clockwork every Friday night, 'M' calls or sms's me and chastises me for constantly bailing on dates (not a date, but an informal meeting of friends). anyway, 'M' also happens to be a throbbing mass of brain cells, better, of law-related brain cells, and this particular friday night, offered to use some of those brain cells helping me understand my assignment.
I, feeling a little guilty about my constant rain checks, needing the help of his assignment, and always being a 'maximiser'** of opportunities, decided two birds could be killed with one stone.
He tipped the scales further by adding urgency to the situation: he was to leave the following Wednesday for Canberra for 5 months.

I got out of bed and drove in to town to pick him up. He had already dulled the revered brain cells with a good dose of imported beer, and was not really in much of a mood to help me with my assignment after all.
Nevertheless, we flew back to Newfarm where he flipped through my case and made a couple of notes. the basic shakedown was he couldn't do anything for me that night, but he had a case, an on-point essay and a few journal articles in his office in the city that would enlighten me on the case.
"Great," said I, "so I'll meet you in the city tomorrow afternoon then and we'll sort it out?"
"Yeah, but you're not going now, are you?" by this stage I was gathering up my belonging and zipping up my sweater. "Well, yes, 'M', I do start work tomorrow at 7:30"
"So that's it, then? I'm a tutor to you and that's all?"
"No of course not, don't be stupid. But you're clearly drunk, I'm tired, and there's not much we can do tonight. Look, though, I see your point. Are you free any time after tonight before you leave so we can do something?
"No, I'm busy [reels of a list of Very Important Things To Do]. Tonight is it"

Dude on a different note, my computer has started to reverse all the home/end/pge up/pge down/arrow keys so they are all inverse and when i hit enter weird stuff happens. Sigh.
As usual, I am going to have to leave the post for 'yet another time'. Lets just say M tried to bargain for an exchange with me which has marred our friendship for good, but that after "admitting" that we had something "special" he was found the next wednesday night. - yes, the night after he was due to leave for Canberra for forever, he ran into L and myself at the 3monkeys, toting his other woman who he will surely claim is his accountant or something but I know her already to be ... drumroll please... his best friend's ex! Isn't that fantastic? And to think this guy will probably be a high court judge one day. If he is, I will see how much money I can squeeze out of the woman's weekly to spill the beans and ruin his career. does that sound low? Probably about ground zero, maybe sub-zero. I mean he did actually provide some useful information which really shaped my conception of s 122 of the constitution. It came at a price, and he showed himself to be even more fabulously slimy than I already thought him to be..- and on that note, I will adjourn because this weird screwed up text is horribly frustrating and i'll provide you with more news and information in the next 24 hours

hasta proxima amigos
xxxx...





*persons may not actually exist

**new scientist, june ed. 2007 "making better decisions"

1 comment:

librarylass said...

my lord, you have been have been having fun times lol. I love the fact that you know the girl he was 'dating' and I do hope you squeeze every last drip of dirty goss out of him. Not only is it bad career fodder, but its good for a laugh too lol

Tell me about your date!!